Okay — maybe not the same exact recipe for every Greek mother… but you have to admit, despite some variations, every Greek mother makes these.
Some recipes from different parts of Greece also include orange juice and a dab of mustard, while others use a host of fresh spices, including rosemary, as well as the stated oregano.
For the tastiest roasted potatoes — with creamy insides and very crispy outsides — follow this classic Greek recipe of roasting peeled Yukon Gold potatoes and covering them in equal parts olive oil, lemon juice and chicken stock.
The potatoes soak up the flavorful liquid, allowing the insides to remain tender while the outsides crisp in the oven’s high heat.
The oregano is a must for these special spuds.
Note: If you use russet potatoes, the final result will be less moist.
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 3 to 4 large lemons)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 6), peeled then halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Flaky salt and black pepper, for serving
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed sheet pan, combine the chicken broth, olive oil, lemon juice and kosher salt. Toss the potatoes in the liquid to coat, then arrange the potatoes in an even layer, cut-sides down. Sprinkle the oregano over the potatoes, if using.
- Roast the potatoes, flipping halfway through, until fork-tender, dark brown and crispy on top, 55 to 60 minutes. (If the potatoes are cooked through but not as crispy as you’d like, run them under the broiler for a few minutes.) Sprinkle with flaky salt and black pepper as desired.
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!