Looking for a way to spice up that plain old rice? Spanakorizo is just the thing!
Spanakorizo is served as both a main and side dish, and this classic, traditional meal can be on your table in less than 40 minutes.
Often paired with a wedge of lemon and a piece of crusty bread, this dish is delicious right off the stove or served a day or two later. Simple, hearty and delicious – spanakorizo is a winner any time of year!
This recipe serves 4/6 – a family of 2 adults, 2 children with leftovers OR 4 adults.
- 1 pound fresh spinach rinses and chopped OR 1 cup of frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill OR fresh chopped mint OR combination of both
- 1 tbsp dried Greek oregano
- 1 cup white rice (medium grain)
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
** optional : 1/4 cup tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
- Sauté onions and garlic gently in olive oil over low heat. Add salt, pepper, oregano and dill or mint. Stir to combine well.
- If adding tomato – mix tomato paste in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add to pot. Mix ingredients well.
- Add rice and cook for 5 minutes stirring often. If rice starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, lower the heat just slightly.
- Add spinach and 3 cups water to pot, mix well to combine and bring to a low boil.
- Once you’ve reached a low boil, lower to a very gentle simmer and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Check the rice for doneness at 25 minutes. It may need an additional 5 minutes or so for longer grains.
- When rice is completely cooked, mix ingredients well, cover and set aside for at least 15 minutes before serving.
About the author
Kiki Vagianos is The Greek Vegan! Kiki lives and cooks in Boston. She spends her free time collecting, testing and posting favorite traditional Greek recipes at The Greek Vegan website. She loves sharing these simple and delicious authentic dishes and helping to bring them back into kitchens throughout the Greek diaspora. Kali Orexi!
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!