On March 5th, we’re organizing a benefit for a Greek children’s charity called Kivotos Tou Kosmou, or “Ark of the World.” It’s a remarkable center that was founded by a Greek Orthodox priest from a rough neighborhood in Athens who felt that his real ministry and true calling was helping kids on the streets who had been abandoned by their families— rather than inside his actual church.
So, in 1998 Fr. Antonios left the active ministry and created “Ark of the World”, a safe place for abandoned children to sleep, learn and be cared for. In the nearly two decades since its founding, Ark has expanded to locations outside Athens, with centers on the island of Chios and in northern Greece near Ioannina.
Read more about the things Ark does and why we’re supporting this charity.
TEN REASONS WHY WE’RE SUPPORTING KIVOTOS TOU KOSMOU
Our event will be a fun night of masquerade and music, drinks and dancing and some of the best Greek food New York City has to offer. I’m humbled by the outpouring of love and support so far.
Periyali Restaurant— perhaps the pillar of Greek food in Manhattan for the past thirty years— is donating the complete menu for the evening, including their world-famous octopus and numerous other dishes which will be passed al night long.
Nerai Restaurant, with one of the most innovative cocktail bar menus in the city, will donate the entire bar and even bring its mixologists to the event to create some great, Greek-infused specialities— like their signature Persephone, which will be offered to all guests as they arrive as a welcome drink.
Wine too, will be flowing all night, coming all the way from Crete, via Kolonaki Importers in Toronto, who will be shipping cases of their well-known red, white and rose Thalia Wine.
We’re also organizing a special charity casino with amazing prizes to the top “money” winners, as well as a silent auction with unique Greek-inspired prizes including hotel packages at some of Greece’s finest hotels and gift baskets by well-known purveyors of fine Greek products.
So far we’ve received generous donations from the Grand Bretagne and the King George hotels in Athens, Costa Navarino in the Peloponnese, Aria Hotels and products from one of our favorite Greek brands, Korres.
And on your way out, be sure to grab your gift bag— also donated by Korres.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
If you care to support, there are numerous ways to do so— even if you’re far away and can’t attend the event.
1) Attend the event. Get your tickets here, which include admission, open bar and food.
2) Can’t attend? Consider a cash donation that will go directly to the charity. We’ve launched a special fundraising page via Indiegogo and 100% of your donation will reach the children that get support from Kivotos Tou Kosmou.
3) Are you a business owner? Consider a gift to our silent auction or a charity casino prize. Email Gregory Pappas directly to share your idea for a gift. We can accept restaurant gift certificates, gift baskets with products and other types of products and services.
4) Have a product you’d like to promote with gifts to our attendees? We’re giving everyone gift bags at the end of the event and you can include your product in our gift bags, while sharing your product and promotional materials with more than 200 people. (*Note, a minimum $100 cash donation to the Indiegogo campaign is required by any company that wishes to promote their products via our gift bags)
5) Do you live in New York but can’t afford to attend? Consider being a volunteer. We need all kinds of help at the event and can always use a smiling face and a helping hand to fulfill our tasks at the event. (*Remember, being a volunteer doesn’t just get you a free ticket to the event. Work is expected!)