Peter Minaki is one of Canada’s most popular food bloggers, supper club hosts and cookbook authors.
As a chef, he hosts hundreds of people annually at his Kalofagas Supper Clubs that he hosts throughout Canada.
Minaki shares recipes and tips on his popular blog Kalofagas and has also published a series of popular Greek and Mediterranean cookbooks including The Big Book Of Mediterranean Recipes: More Than 500 Recipes for Healthy and Flavorful Meals and The Everything Easy Mediterranean Cookbook.
This year, Minaki shared his Vasilopita recipe for readers of The Pappas Post. Follow his Facebook page for regular updates on his supper clubs, classes and other food-related events and projects.
- 1 cup (250gr) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 6 large eggs (whites & yolks separated)
- 1 shot of orange liqueur
- 1 Tbsp. of baking powder
- Zest of 1 orange
- 10 inch round spring form pan
- Pre-heated 350 F oven
1. Whip your egg whites into a meringue and reserve. In a large bowl, use a mixer to blend the butter, sugar and add yolks one at a time.
2. Add the liqueur and the zest. Then, add the flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly fold the meringue into the batter.
3. Place a foil-wrapped coin randomly into the cake mix.
4. Bake on the middle rack for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for an hour.
5. Make a paper stencil of the new year you’re celebrating, place it on the cake and dust the top of the cake with icing sugar. Remove stencil and reserve to cut at New Year’s.
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!