Souvlaki: it is one of Greece’s number one street foods and a go-to favorite for tourists and locals alike — and now you can bring it into your own kitchen.
Greek blogger, author and food personality Tassos Antoniou has a simple yet incredibly tasteful recipe that is user-friendly even for beginners.
His books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients and instructions below and also watch the video (in English) so you can enjoy a homemade version of this Greek fast-food favorite.
For the marinade:
- 12 oz chicken breast
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 pita breads
- 4 kebab skewers
- Cut the chicken breast in equally shaped chunks.
- In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients with the chicken chunks.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Thread the chicken pieces, alternating with pepper chunks, on the skewers.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan, over high heat. Cook the chicken souvlaki (skewers) for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until nicely coloured on all sides and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken skewers from the pan. Add the pita bread into the pan and cook for 1 minute from each side. Serve the chicken skewers on the pita bread.
Watch the video
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!