As much as we love a fresh horiatiki salad, we are also big fans of a vibrant, colorful and nutrient-packed alternative with a sweet and earthy flavor: Greek beet salad (pantzaria salata)
Greek blogger, author and food personality Tassos Antoniou has a simple yet incredibly tasteful recipe that is user-friendly even for beginners.
His books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients/instructions below and enjoy this super delicious salad dish in the comfort of your own home.
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 50 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 6 / Calories per serving: 240
- 1 kg / 2 lbs fresh beets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme, chopped
- kosher salt
- fresh pepper
- Prepare the beets: Remove greens, leaving about an inch of stem. Don’t cut the taproot. Wash gently, being careful not to break the skin, and mix in a bowl with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.
- Wrap 2-3 beets in a small baking paper package. Repeat until the beet mixture is all used. Optionally, add one clove of garlic in each package for extra taste. Place onto the baking sheet and roast for 45-50 minutes, until tender.
- Unwrap the packages and let the mixture completely cool. Peel the beets, cut in chunks and place in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix cider vinegar, mustard, thyme, olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Add the beet cooking liquid in the baking package and mix until fully incorporated.
- Combine dressing and beets in the bowl and toss. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving for optimal texture and taste.
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!