Are you a young writer interested in exploring Greek immigrant experiences? The St. Photios National Shrine has proudly announced its annual essay contest and theme. Most Americans treasure an immigrant story as it is a precious thread in the legacy of most families. There is a curiosity as to why the immigrant left their homeland, and we wonder what opportunity presented itself for a change. What did it feel like for our ancestors to leave their homeland? We want to know what was met upon arrival in the New World and what course their lives took.
Essay contest theme: In an essay of 950-1,050 words, compare and contrast the immigrant story of the Greek Colonists of 1768 with the immigrant story of a family member or a personal friend.
Essay Contest Details
- Participants must be between the ages of 13-19, divided into two age categories: 13-15 and 16-19.
- Maximum word count: 950-1050.
- A single essay from each age category will be selected as the winner by a committee and will receive $1,000 each.
- All participants will receive a certificate.
- All essays become the property of the St. Photios National Shrine and may be used for various publicity purposes, always with the byline of the author.
- Submit essays NO LATER THAN December 2, 2022, via email to: Polexeni Maouris Hillier, Executive Director of the St. Photios National Shrine at email@example.com Winners will be announced on Sunday, January 8, 2022.
Essay contest prize: $1,000
The St. Photios National Shrine 2022 Essay Contest is made possible by the generosity of The Kathie D’Anna Charitable Fund.