The Washington Oxi Day Foundation is offering scholarships to five Greek American students between grades 6 and 12 who best describe the concept of “philotimo.”
The first place recipient will receive a $4,000 scholarship and an invitation to the foundation’s 11th annual black tie gala on October 28 in Washington, D.C. where the student will be recognized as a guest of honor.
Two second place recipients will receive $2,000 scholarships and two third place recipients $1,000 scholarships.
How to apply
1. Watch the foundation’s video “The Greek Secret” (see below) on the subject of philotimo.
2. In 500 words or less, answer one of the following questions:
- What does philotimo mean to you?
- What are some extraordinary examples of philotimo that you have seen?
- What are some of the things you can do in your daily life to exhibit philotimo?
- How can philotimo improve your life?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!